Ralph Lauren fully embracing the 1920s trend for the season, in anticipation of Baz Luhrman’s The Great Gatsby…
If you’re in New York this weekend, here’s an opportunity to air out your favourite vintage threads:
Fall Jazz Age Lawn Party on Governors Island
Sunday, September 27, 2009
(Rain date: Sunday, Oct. 4th)
11:00 AM to 6:00 PM
From the website:
“Michael Arenella and His Dreamland Orchestra invites you to join us on this hidden gem just off the southeastern tip of Manhattan, nestled in the heart of majestic New York Harbor. Under a shady grove of centuries-old trees, caressed by fresh sea air, a sprawling green surrounded by historic officers’ quarters and 18th century naval ramparts becomes the setting for a true Gatsby affair. A recession-friendly $5 admission gives you access to one of the Fall’s most magnificent celebrations. Widely anticipated by flappers, sporting gents and tiny tots alike, this event has been featured and reviewed consistently by The New York Times and the Sartorialist.
A wide array of music, food & drink, activities, games and contests are open for all ages to enjoy:
– A delightful variety of refreshing cocktails will be served by St. Germain.
– Picnickers are welcomed and encouraged.
– Tasty sandwiches and BBQ provided by Cercle Rouge.
– Authentic ’78 records from the 1920s played on a phonograph provided by Michael Cumella of WFMU’s Antique Phonograph Music Program.
– Charleston lessons given by Roddy Caravella of Sandra Cameron Dance Studio.
– 1920s Motorcar Exhibition – take a spin around the island in a genuine rumbleseat!
– Vintage clothing dealers and boutique milliners will all be peddling wares
– Special literature/ephemera booths and readings by the Dorothy Parker Society & F. Scott Fitzgerald Society.
– Bathing Beauties & Beaus Promenade
– Live dance performances
– Vintage portraits by R.A. Friedman.
– Tug O’ War
– Parade Of Hats
– Bake Sale and Pie Recipe Contest”
Sounds great, wish I could go, but I’m in Buenos Aires right now! If any of you make it, send us photos!